Thursday, September 25, 2008

Learning to Ride

New York City…the bright lights, brilliant skyline, beautiful people and a rock band, it sounds like the perfect combination but this ain’t your typical band. Dave’s first few nights in The Big Apple were spent sleeping on floors or whatever bed he could find due to the graciousness of some of the band members’ friends. God bless them for their hospitality because I wouldn’t have done it.

The band stayed in New York around 4 days. These were 4 long stressful days. The band showed up in New York missing one very important component: their lead female vocalist. Due to relationship problems, she decided to return to Mexico and forgo the tour. The lead male vocalist, her boyfriend, in turn decided to fly to Mexico to retrieve his love and save the tour. I actually find that really romantic. I can’t even get Dave to buy me a T-shirt from one of the universities the band has visited. I mean a T-shirt only cost like $20! I better stop before I go off on a tangent. Back to Dave…Dave who quit his job, gave up his apartment, and flew to New York to be a member of a band was unsure if there would even be a tour. I admit I got more than just a little satisfaction from his predicament. In the end, love must really conquer all because the lead singers got back together and rejoined the band.

Now the biking begins! I don’t know many people who have ridden a bike 50 miles. I haven’t! I have, however, taken some pretty mean spin classes, and your privates don’t exactly feel up to par when you are done. Before leaving for New England, Dave practiced riding his bike around Panama City Beach, but the terrain here is very flat and not a good training ground. Not to mention he forgot to strap 150 lbs of band gear to the back of his bike and lug that around. His first long trip was TORTURE. They literally biked 50 miles! HOLY CRAP! You have to admire the level of fitness that must take. I don’t have it! As for Dave, he was unprepared for the physical endurance it took to defeat such a trip. He was more than tired. He was miserable. When I am exhausted, the two things I want are a warm bath and a nice soft bed with cool sheets to relax in. That is not what Dave got. He and the band could not find a place to stay or camp and ended up sleeping in a church yard. Dave said they looked like a bunch of homeless people! Wait… they are homeless people!

Now I know this is going to sound terrible, but I rather enjoyed hearing stories of torture and pain. Not that I didn’t feel sorry for him, but I have a fear that if he enjoys this trip too much we (and by “we”, I mean ME!) may never get Dave back. I know this is selfish, but I can’t control myself. Unfortunately things got better…..

2 comments:

Cookie Patel said...

It sounds like your boyfriend is very cheap, if he cannot even buy you a t-shirt. I think I would find a new man!!!!!!!!!

Phil said...

Look at it this way, at least you don't have kids. If I tried to quit my job and go on any tour, my wife would cut off my nuts. Literally.