Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Dave Joins the Band

Just when I thought life couldn’t get any weirder, I met Dave. It all happened last December. It was a bright warm winter day – yes, I said “warm” and “winter” in the same instance, after all I do live in Florida, the Sunshine State. Anyway, back to the story: It was a bright, warm winter day and a group of us headed out to a beachside bar for drinks. Dave is not the kind of guy you instantly notice. He is quiet and reserved, while his friends are funny and bold. They tend to overpower him but that’s okay with Dave, who would rather be an observer than the center of attention. I immediately liked his mannerisms and humor, but I was dating someone else and thought nothing of him romantically. Time went by and I stopped dating the other guy and started to see Dave in a different light. You see, Dave is not really my type. What is my type, you ask? Well, it’s blond hair, blue eyes, a personality that fills the room, and treats me really bad! And, well, Dave is the complete opposite of all that and honestly, that’s a good thing as it’s evident “my so-called type” hasn’t seemed to work out for me. I have had more bad boyfriends than Joan Rivers has had plastic surgery. Okay, so again I digress. Back to the story. The more time I spent with Dave, the more attracted I was to him. He was sweet and courteous and one night, after too much to drink, we finally kissed, and it felt like magic. Yes, girls, just like in the movies…magic!

Dave is the kind of guy you want to take home to your mother. He graduated from Vanderbilt, wears a polo and khakis every day, always says “yes maam” and “no sir”. Looks-wise, he has the prettiest mane of chestnut hair you will ever see…even better than McDreamy. Maybe I should come up with a “Mc” name for him. Oh wait, that is so two years ago.

Anyway, during his twenties, Dave started his own company: www.demardesigns.com. Like a lot of fledgling companies, Demar Designs didn’t pay the bills, so he had to take a recruiting job in Atlanta. For the first time in my life, I felt like I had met someone I could stay with. He treated me like a princess. He even threw me a prom because I never attended my own. There is nothing like a guy showing up at your door in a tuxedo carrying flowers, candy and an ipod filled with 90’s love songs. I fell head over heels.

Late one night, Dave called me to tell me his friend Jared had asked him to go on tour with his band. The band promoted cleaner transportation by riding their bikes to shows and powering their equipment with manpower rather than burning electricity. I didn’t really know how to feel. You see, I am not what you would ever call a “free spirit.” I live to work and appreciate the value of a hard-earned dollar. Dave, on the other hand, has a sense of adventure that outweighs his desire to live the life of a typical middle classman. He was thrilled at the opportunity to quit his job and do some “real living.” Dave thinks they are making a statement…I think he might need to go to a therapist.

Dave wasted no time quitting his job and leaving town. My boyfriend gave up everything to join a band of bikers and promote a cause he believed in. On the one hand, you have to admire his dedication to Mother Earth. On the other hand, I had an anxiety attack. I mean at 30-something, I can’t help but think he’s a little crazy, and I crazier for being his girlfriend. Let’s face the facts: I drive a Mercedes and sell beachfront property worth millions (www.liveindestin.com), while my boyfriend rides a Schwinn and is probably, technically homeless right now. Not that I don’t believe in saving the earth….but riding a bike with a band? This was just the beginning...

1 comment:

hankdemarest said...

Hi Niki - it's Hank, David's brother. Nobody knows where we got it from, but I did what David is doing from 1992 until 2003. I wasn't riding a gay bicycle for Mother Earth, however, I was sailing merchant freighters around the world. People said many of the same things about me such as "technically homeless," etc. Now, I have a wife, a mortgage, an MBA, a desk job, and two little guys. Eventually, we all fall from Never-Never Land. Surprisingly, in my case the landing was rather soft, and the resultant company preferable to any I had known before...